You’ve read the book, now watch the movie

Back in January I posted about Martin Weller’s great book, The Battle for Open: How openness won and why it doesn’t feel like a victory. Now you can watch Martin talk about the book, along with other issues associated with OER (are you familiar with ‘openwashing’?), in his keynote address to OER15. It’s insightful, highly informative, and doesn’t go on too long – half the 40 minute time in presentation, and half in Q&A. Just in case you don’t know, OER15 is this year’s iteration of the Open Education Conferences, which “discuss research and practice in the adoption of Open Education in all sectors of Education and Training.”

Note that you can download Martin’s slides, and of course there’s access to the other keynotes from the website (all were streamed live). I must be getting old, as I’d heard of only one of them, Josie Taylor. The others are Cable Green and Sheila MacNeill.

You’ll need to browse the programme to get a sense of what went on, with clearly quite a variety of activities on offer, including panel discussions, workshops, lightning talks and short papers. The website isn’t totally intuitive, but persist with it and you’ll find your way around.

I have the impression it went very well (read Gráinne Conole‘s blogpost), so if you’re tempted, the next one is at the University of Edinburgh in April 2016.